Re: Request for clarification on I18N speech synthesis question

Ian,
My initial suggestions is that the UA could render "Japanese Phrase" XXXX
"end Japanese Phrase", where XXX is some characters, or if Japanese is
unsupported XXXX is nothing and the "end Japanese phrase" would probably
not be needed.  I am assuming the user agent is doing this because it
cannot render the Japanese.

Jon

At 07:58 PM 5/6/00 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Eric Hansen has asked for a clarification of one of the paragraphs
>of the Techniques document [1] under checkpoint 2.7 (natural
>language switching):
>
><BLOCKQUOTE>
>Switching natural languages for blocks of content may be more helpful
>than
>switching for short phrases. In some language combinations (e.g.,
>Japanese being the primary and English being the secondary or quoted
>language), short foreign language phrases are often well-integrated in
>the
>primary language.  Dynamic switching for these short phrases may make
>the content sound unnatural and possibly harder to understand.
></BLOCKQUOTE>
>
>Eric asks what the UA should do in this case...
>
>I thought that this came from the I18N review of the document at
>last call, but I cannot find evidence to that effect. Can someone
>remember where this came from? I haven't been able to track down
>who sent this technique.
>
>Thank you,
>     _ Ian
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10-TECHS/#gl-content-access
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group