Request for clarification on I18N speech synthesis question

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 19:58:31 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

Eric Hansen has asked for a clarification of one of the paragraphs
of the Techniques document [1] under checkpoint 2.7 (natural
language switching):

Switching natural languages for blocks of content may be more helpful
switching for short phrases. In some language combinations (e.g.,
Japanese being the primary and English being the secondary or quoted
language), short foreign language phrases are often well-integrated in
primary language.  Dynamic switching for these short phrases may make
the content sound unnatural and possibly harder to understand.

Eric asks what the UA should do in this case...

I thought that this came from the I18N review of the document at
last call, but I cannot find evidence to that effect. Can someone
remember where this came from? I haven't been able to track down
who sent this technique.

Thank you,
    _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10-TECHS/#gl-content-access

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842