Re: Proposal for Checkpoint 2.1

pjenkins@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Jon wrote:
> >1. Alternative ... primary content
Alternative equivalents should be available through the User Interface
in place of or in conjunction with primary content
> >2. Users need access to all content
> >3. All views need to be accessible
> >4. A source view is one way to make content available,
> >   but not the only way it should be made available
> >5. Access to the attributes of an element is useful
> >   and should be easy for the user to obtain.
>
> The problem as I see it is that the definition of "content" includes
> "attributes".  If we change the definition of content to NOT include
> attributes, and define attributes as either used to render the content or
> available (i.e., via a source view), then we can re-write and make sense
> out of the consensus.

I don't think it makes sense to exclude attributes from
the definition of content.

> 1. Alternative ... primary content
>      we are not asking for alternative to attributes are we?? - of course
> not.

I don't understand your statement.

> 2. Users need access to all content and attributes
> 3. delete - because not all views are nor can be accessible
>    and neither are all attributes
>    some are not used and some are changed
>    to make a view accessible.

I agree with that.

> 4. A source view is one way to make attributes available,
>    but not the only way they should be made available,
>    and the source view (if provided) should always be
>    an accessible view.

The source view is tricky because it presents information about
some content, but typically using an entirely different syntax.
A source view of an HTML document is an SGML view.

> 5. Access to the attributes of an element is useful
>    and should be easy for the user to obtain.

Yes.