Re: Proposal for Checkpoint 2.1

David,

I think your concern is that some developers may provide a source view and
say that it is the accessible view of the document, especially for making
alternative equivalents available to the user.  We have a requirement that
all viewports be accessible and that alternative equivalents be available
through any view that shows primary content.  So even through they may
provide a source view, they need to make other views accessible to conform
to the UAAG.

Jon

At 11:50 AM 5/1/00 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
>I am concerned about the possible result of the following where the source
>view is actually used?
>begin quoted portion:
> > Note on 2.1a:
> > 1) The combination of views offered by a user agent must provide access to
> > all author supplied resources.  A source view is typically one of the views
> > offered by a user agent, but is not a requirement for satisfying this
> > checkpoint if resource information is available in the combination of other
> > views.
>end of quoted portion
>
>with each if there must be an else and even tough a source view would be
>something if there were nothing else hence the else, I wouldn't call it
>meeting any requirement under any circumstances.  I know we are trying hard
>to isolate it out here and I am aware of some of the possible benefits of a
>source view but for me it has no place in accessability.  I am also aware
>that we don't want not to be able to get at the source view if for some
>reason we want or need to access it and that the rule of not hiding anything
>that should not be hidden should be followed.  I just get the sense here
>that if one wishes, they can feel comfortable providing a source view
>because they don't feel like providing other views or alternatives.  a
>source view is one view it does not stand alone and cannot stand alone as an
>accessable one.

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group