Seeking input on issue 271

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:26:50 -0400
To: Madeleine_Rothberg@wgbh.org
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Madeleine,

Today we discussed issue #271 [1] (refer to minutes [2]). The issue
concerns the priority of checkpoint 4.7.

We discussed the feasibility of implementing arbitrary positioning
and people agreed that there didn't seem to be anything technically
impossible about allowing users to select where captions, etc.
should be rendered (notably when the markup language or style
sheet language allows the author to position content arbitrarily).

We also discussed the rationale: for which users was this a
P1 requirement and would arbitrary positioning really address
their needs. (Refer also to Al Gilman's comments on
"How much positioning control for captions etc.?" [3]).

Rich Schwerdtfeger asked for comments from you about what you
think the priority of this checkpoint should be.

Thank you,

 - Ian

P.S. Comments from others are also welcome.

[1] http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#271
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0196.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0179.html
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842