Re: Proposed edits to Guideline 1.

Hans Riesebos wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> In general I find that the new texts reflect very well what we discussed and decided at the f2f.

Great. My comments on your comments below preceded by IJ:

> Just some very small suggestions<Hans> between these tags</Hans>:
>
> Proposal 1) For the Guideline rationale:
>
> <NEW>
> To ensure that assistive technologies can both operate the user agent
> programmatically (e.g., through simulated keyboard events) and monitor
> user
> agent output (e.g., output text), developers are expected to use each
> API
> appropriately. For example, for rendering text, developers are expected
> to use
> an API for drawing text. Developers should not, for example, convert
> text to a
> bitmap to be rendered via a graphical API; this may prevent other
> software from
> being able to use the text.
> </NEW>
>
> <Hans> I do find the "for example" for output more important. However could we give both output and input examples?</Hans>

IJ: Would someone care to propose an example?

> Proposal 3) Checkpoint 1.2
> <NEW>
>  Note. Developers should use APIs available at a higher level of
>        abstraction than device APIs, provided that, in turn, these
>        higher level APIs make use of the standard device APIs for
>        the operating system.
> </NEW>
>
> <Hans>
> I find the sentence too difficult. Maybe also an example is needed.
> Does the next feel less complicated?
> <NEW>
>  Note. When available, developers should use APIs at a higher level
>        of abstraction than the standard device APIs for the operating
>        system, but only if these higher level APIs properly use the
>        standard device APIs.
> </NEW>
> </Hans>

What I heard people say at the face-to-face was that in this case,
they should use *both* interfaces, not abandon the higher-level
interface. Therefore, how about:

   Note. When available, developers should use APIs at a higher level
        of abstraction than the standard device APIs for the operating
        system. If these higher level APIs do not use the
        standard device APIs properly, developers should also
        use the standard device APIs.

 - Ian