Re: Proposed editorial change to checkpoint 4.15

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 01:31:08 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
At 2000-04-14 18:29-0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:

><OLD>
>  4.15 Allow the user to configure how the focus changes.
></OLD>
>
><NEW>
>  4.15 Allow the user to configure whether the focus
>       moves automatically to a viewport that opens without
>       an explicit request from the user.
></NEW>

"whether" dangles without an alternative. I prefer the following with
qualification. [I believe the default should not be to move focus
automatically (and without alerter) as that is disorienting, without
means to get back.]

>  4) Should this checkpoint be expressed in the negative
>     instead? "Allow the user to configure the focus behavior so that
>     it does not automatically move to a viewport that opens without
>     an explicit request from the user."

I think that should be reversed, so the default is don't move. Also the
user configuration then would need to substitute some alternative means to
alert the user of the new viewport. Do we need/have a means to step through
multiple viewports? Is notice provided whenever viewport change is made?

Regards/Harvey