Issue 244: Checkpoint 4.5

From: Madeleine Rothberg <madeleine_rothberg@wgbh.org>
Date: 11 Apr 2000 12:05:21 -0500
To: "W3C-WAI-UA" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Here are comments from Geoff Freed, our rep to the SYMM committee,
on slowing down multimedia presentations:

GF:
[microsoft's] sami demos are the only things i've ever seen that give
the player speed control.  smil-boston contains info on author-specified
acceleration and deceleration, but doesn't give the player and user
control of speed.  so i guess the answer is... no, at least for now.

[microsoft's] demos slowed down or sped up both video and captions, and
automatically muted the audio.  the audio slowed down at the same rate as
the video, too, but you had to cancel the mute button first in order to
hear it.

MR: These are the demos I mentioned that use scripting to create a UI
which sends altered content to the Windows Media Player. WMP
didn't implement this feature natively in its UI, though it can
provide the feature when scripted properly.

-Madeleine