Re: Important: Issues relating to checkpoint 2.1 raised during 30 March teleconference.

"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> aloha, ian!
>
> ian wrote:
>
> quote
> 3) Not all content that is human-viewable
>      must be made available through the user interface.
> unquote
>
> doesn't the applicability clause satisfy this concern?  if you don't
> support it, you don't have to make it available via the user interface, but
> you do have to make all alternatives available through the user interface...

No, I don't think applicability covers this case. Suppose you
recognize the "alt" attribute and it's text, which you can render.
But you don't. I don't think that that's covered by the applicability
clause.

Nothing in UAAG 1.0 (right now) requires you to render "alt" text
through
the user interface. The fact that user agents do is a good thing. But
for future languages, they might not.

 - Ian