Re: new real player 7

aloha, madeleine!

i strongly concur that there should not be a mutually exclusive choice
between captions and audio description...

another issue which greatly concerns me is that the choice (however
constrained) is limited only to those using RealPlayer Plus -- the free
version of RealPlayer (at least in the Win32 version) only supports quote
Optional Captions unquote (under the "Content" property sheet of the
RealPlayer preferences), but does not support audio descriptions

in light of the fact that the vast majority of people using the RealPlayer
use the free version, Real Networks needs to extend the range of
accessibility features extant in the retail version to the free version,
and allow users to display both captions and audio descriptions in both
versions...

gregory

At 01:25 PM 3/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for alerting me to this, David. We're playing with it but haven't
>yet figured out how to code the audio descriptions to be turned on and off.
>They don't seem to be using either a SMIL 1.0-like attribute (similar to the
>system-captions attribute) or the SMIL-Boston attribute systemAudioDesc.
>
>Also, we noticed that they made captions and audio descriptions mutually
>exclusive by using radio buttons to choose between them. Anyone besides
>us think it would be useful to have independent control over the two
>features?
>
>-Madeleine
>
>On Tuesday, March 28, 2000, David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net> wrote:
>this new edition has the capability to play audio description on demand if
>it is present.
>--
>Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
>ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/poehlman
>http://poehlman.clark.net
>mailto:poehlman@clark.net
>voice 301-949-7599
>end sig.

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>