Re: Important: Issues relating to checkpoint 2.1 raised during 30 March teleconference.

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I proposed an alternative solution to the problem - to add a note to the
> checkpoint:
>
> Note: For information intended to be human-readable, (for example equivalent
> alternatives) a source view alone is insufficient, and access must be
> provided as part of the normal user browsing interface.
>
> This avoids changing the checkpoint scope, or meaning,

I believe that saying the following would not change the scope
of 1.2:

 1) All content must be available (through the UI or an API).
 2) When rendered through the UI, human-viewable content must
    be rendered for human consumption (and a source view does not
    suffice since markup is not meant for ordinary users).
 3) Not all content that is human-viewable
    must be made available through the user interface.

I haven't heard agreement on point three, even though I believe
there was consensus on 2 March 2000 to leave checkpoint 1.2 ambiguous
about what had to be rendered through the user interface.

I believe that if we change three to be "All content that is meant
to be viewed by the user must be available through the UI", then
we are not only reversing a decision made on 2 March, but we are
changing
the scope of checkpoint 1.2.

I think we need to make 1.2 clearer, and changing point 3 is probably
a good idea since it will reduce the ambiguity about what needs to
be available through the UI (we already know that everything must
be available through an API).

 - Ian