RE: source vs content vs rendered content: item #207

According to my understaning, the content for a script-enabled browser (which
we do not require - should we? see below for further discussion) is as Hans
suggests, and the renderable content likewise (plus the fact that this is in
blue - there is no further semantic meaning defined, but it has been
emphasised in that way which is a distinction that needs to be made
available).

For a browser which does not support script, there is only the original
source available, and no renderable content (hence the WCAG requirement to
have alternative content for scripts, which would in this case form the
renderable content.

If there were alternative content for the script, then there would be two
sets of renderable content for a script-aware browser. In this particular
instance one could easily enough have them be exactly the same - a smart
browser could compare them, discover that, and not need to offer each version
of the same thing, but this seems unikely in the real world, and the
requirement would be to offer the user access to either renderable form.

This also clearly illustrates to me why access to source does not satisfy the
requirement - as a person who has programmed some in Javascript and a
reaasonable amount in other languages I can figure out what is going to
happen, but a person with no programing experience coul easily be at a
complete loss if all they were offered was the source, regardless of
disability. (I don't think not having learned programming, or even a markup
language, counts as a disability any more than not having learned latin.)

cheers

Charles McCN