Re: WCAG Priority Levels for accessibility-oriented TABLE eements and attributes

Gregory,

These 2 checkpoints are P3 because providing a summary or header
abbreviations make it "easier" to get the info from a table.  If an author
does not provide a summary or header abbreviations, it is not making it
"impossible" or "difficult" to access the information in a table. UNLESS a
summary is so well written that a user would not need to access the
table.   Therefore, I could see upgrading "summary" to P2 for complex
tables, p3 for others.  Headers I still see as "helpful" i.e. they decrease
reading time and annoyance (based on the current WCAG use of the "abbr"
attribute and not ABBR element.  ABBR issues are handled in checkpoint 4.2,
also a P3).

Yes, authors should be encouraged to provide as much semantic information
as possible.  The WCAG prioritizes that info based on how well it can help
the user access the information, in this case we are refering to the TABLE
element.  Summaries and table header abbreviations do not help access
nearly as much as appropriate structure, identifying headers, etc.

unless you can prove me otherwise...

--wendy

--
wendy a chisholm