Re: comments on guidelines

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 12:41:25 -0500
To: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@ACM.org>
CC: Denis Anson <danson@miseri.edu>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
"Leonard R. Kasday" wrote:

> At 11:51 AM 12/3/99 -0500, Denis Anson wrote:
> >Len,
> >
> >My take is that the conformance ratings are for general purpose browsers,
> >which must accommodate all users.  If you make a browser that is focused on
> >the needs of a single group, and is not intended to be accessible for all
> >users, then the conformance ratings simply don't apply.
>
> That's a possibility but if that's the philosophy it should be explicit and
> highlighted.
>
> Plus there's still the case... though it may be unlikely... that someone
> designs a browser with built in  output access to all disabilities,
> including e.g. built in sound, drivers for most Braille terminals,
> magnification, captioning, etc.  For the sake of example, assume the input
> follows standards.  I think they should be allowed at least an A rating
> even if they don't have a standard API for output.

If they system on which the software runs does not have a standard API,
then the standard output API requirement doesn't apply. If the tool
runs on a system where it is not possible to operate the software with
other software, the output API requirement would also not apply and
the tool could thus conform.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814