RE: comments on guidelines

At 11:51 AM 12/3/99 -0500, Denis Anson wrote:
>Len,
>
>My take is that the conformance ratings are for general purpose browsers,
>which must accommodate all users.  If you make a browser that is focused on
>the needs of a single group, and is not intended to be accessible for all
>users, then the conformance ratings simply don't apply.

That's a possibility but if that's the philosophy it should be explicit and
highlighted.

Plus there's still the case... though it may be unlikely... that someone
designs a browser with built in  output access to all disabilities,
including e.g. built in sound, drivers for most Braille terminals,
magnification, captioning, etc.  For the sake of example, assume the input
follows standards.  I think they should be allowed at least an A rating
even if they don't have a standard API for output.

Len

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)