Re: WD-WAI-USERAGENT-19991105 review

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 00:33:20 -0500
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
aloha, håkon!

thank you for your extremely valuable and insightful comments on the Last Call
draft of the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines...

in your review, you noted:

Adding support for DOM effectively turns a browser into an editor.
This is often beneficial, but in memory-constrained enviroments it is
often impossible. By making this Priority 1, a whole segment of UAs
will fail conformance and might therefore pay less attention to the
Guidelines in general. I suggest changing it to Priority 2 and limit
the requirement fo the read (i.e. not write) portions of the DOM.

I suggest changing all sections in Guidline 5 to reflect this.

while your point is very well taken, i would like to propose a median solution:
retain Priority 1 for the read portions of the DOM and Priority 2 for the write
portions...  this could be accomplished either by splitting the checkpoint in
2, or by simply listing the priority level as P1 for read functions and P2 for
write functions...

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
   WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC