Definition of "applicability"

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:24:21 -0500
To: w3c-wai-au@w3.org
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hello,

Per my action assigned 30 November at the ATAG teleconf, here is
a definition of "applicability" that is short.
It differs from the UAGL definition (as of the last
call draft) in that it relies on common sense, not a series of
specific cases of non-applicability.

<DFN>
Applicable checkpoint

  Some checkpoints may not apply to certain classes of
  authoring tools. Common sense dictates whether the
  requirements of a checkpoint exceed the scope of the tool's
  design. Checkpoints that require a tool to
  implement a functionality are applicable to the tool. However,
  some examples of where a checkpoint might not
  apply include: the authoring tool does not recognize or
  support a markup language or markup language feature,
  the authoring tool does not support a particular content type, and
  the authoring tool does not control the properties of an embedded
  object.
</DFN>

Note that this definition should
also be accompanied by a change to the conformance statement
that says that authoring tools only need to satisfy applicable
checkpoints.

 - Ian

P.S. I have cc'd the UAGL WG in case people in that WG
find this definition more useful for UAGL as well.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814