Re: netscape keybindings section

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:50:50 -0500
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69@concentric.net>
"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> aloha, ian!
>
> ian wrote, quote
>   I don't think we should indicate that there are problems with NN
>   in the Techniques doc.
> unquote
>
> we are not highlighting NN's problems, merely documenting the keyboard support
> of a specific release of NN -- if we fail to address the keyboard support of
> NN's help system -- something which is required by the UAGL -- then we have (a)
> failed to address keyboard support in a specific version of NN, and (b) have
> undermined the integrity of our document...

I think I just understood the problem. You want an entry in the table
that says "Help system" and that there's an asterisk for all versions.
I'm ok with that. I hadn't understood the request that way. I had
understood it to mean: NN has a problem and I want this problem
mentioned -- outside of the table. That's what I was resisting.

However, there may be other functionalities in NN that don't appear
in the table and I don't think we should spend much time trying
to complete it, notably if the table turns out to be sparse.

> ian, if you don't want to include any mention of NN's lack of keyboard support
> in its help system, then why don't we also junk all of the other categories
> where NN fails to support the keyboard?

That's another option. That would make the table smaller, which might
be a good thing.

> i don't understand your logic or your unwillingness to include a section on
> keyboard support for the NN help system -- if one relies upon the keyboard for
> navigational purposes, but can't access the help system, then that should and
> must be noted...

I hope my misunderstanding was the only source of unwillingness.

> otherwise, all our Techniques document will yield us is peace
> in our times, and just ask the-country-formerly known as Czechoslovakia how
> good an idea that is...

You mean the Czech Republic or Slovakia?

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814