Re: Issue 109: Proposed rewording of Checkpoints 1.1 and 1.6

Ian,

This is fine, although I have two small modifications to your proposal:

1. I do believe it is necessary to modify the definition of device
independence as I had proposed as we need to refer to standard input and
output devices with links to their glossary definition:

Device Independence: The ability to make use of software via any input or
output device supported by the operating system. These supported devices
consist of standard input and output devices.

User agents should follow system conventions and use standard APIs for
device input and output.

2. In section 1.3 I would modify the note as follows (see <> markers):

Note. What is "standard" for a particular environment will change over
time. Today, for example, the mouse and keyboard are standard <inputs> in a

graphical desktop computer environment.<The display and sound card are are
considered standard ouputs for a graphical desktop computer environment
and thus are supported by a standarzed API.> Tomorrow, voice input and
output may be standard. For a small device, standard input may come
from a pen or keypad, and output through an LCD screen.

Nice work!

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Lead Architect, IBM Special Needs Systems
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/rich.htm

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> on 10/26/99 10:26:42 AM