Proposed checkpoint to turn off background sounds.

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:05:27 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hello,

As per my action item of [1], I propose modifying checkpoint
4.4 of [2]:

     4.4 Allow the user to turn on and off rendering of sound. [Priority
1]

to read:

        When the user agent renders audio natively,
        allow the user to turn on and off rendering of audio,
        including background audio. [Priority 1]

Note that this is consistent with the language of 5.12:

        When the user agent renders audio natively, allow the user
        to control the  audio volume. [Priority 2]

Note: In order to make clear that this (and other checkpoints in GL4)
refer to author-supplied information, the subhead now reads:

         Ensure that the user may turn off rendering or behavior
         specified by the author that may obscure content or
         disorient the user.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/1999/10/wai-ua-f2f-199910-minutes.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19991005
Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814