Re: Techniques for 3.3.6 Orientation to Frames

At 09:58 AM 10/8/99 -0500, mark novak wrote:
>>After reading checkpoints 1.1 and 1.6, I feel the clarity problem is due
to a
>>lack
>>of definitions. Too much is left up to the assumption of the reader. So, my
>>proposal is to make the following four changes:
>>
>>1. Modify the glossary definition of device independence.
>>
>>Device Independence The ability to make use of software via any input or
>>output device supported by the operating system. These supported devices
>>consist of standard input and output devices.
>>
>>User agents should follow system conventions and use standard APIs for
>>device input and output.
>>
>>2. Create and add the following glossary definition:
>>
>>Standard Input and Output Devices: These devices are those which are
>>expected for normal use by the operating system and its standard user
>>interface. Operating systems provide standard API to these devices to be
>>used by applications for expected inter operability between the operating
>>system and the application environment.
>>
>>For example, today's personal computer desktop operating systems expect to
>>use mouse and keyboard devices as the standard input mechanism. For a palm
>>computer the standard input may be the stylus and buttons. The expected,
>>standard output on these systems consists of the display and/or an audio
>>output device.
>
>MN:  Perhaps maybe more of a cautionary note on how we word this....I had
>to read this a couple of times before I realized we had shifted from
graphical
>desktop user agents to palm and voice based browsing.  I agree with pushing
>the guidelines in that direction, but perhaps some rephrasing?
>
><this isn't the best wording, but I hope I'm getting the idea across, if
>we want to as a group, cross into this territory ?>
>
>For example, today's graphical desktop user agents running on personal
computer
>operating systems expect to use the keyboard and mouse as the standard
>input mechanism, and a video display as the standard output mechanism.
However,
>small hand-held palm computers may replace the keyboard and mouse with
>their standard input devices being a stylus and perhaps some dedicated
>buttons, and their
>standard output device being a significantly more limited video display.
>
>The expectations for future phone and mobile-based user agents, suggest that
>the standard input device would be voice, while the standard output device
>will be
>limited video and or video/audio combination or only audio.

AG:

Minor spin doctoring:

Rather than presuming that there will be a standard input or output device
class and what the standards will be, I think that it suffices for our
purposes
to say that in these environments voice command and audio readout (a.k.a.
display) will be heavily used and both keycount and video capability may be
considerably reduced.

Al