[w3c-wai-ua] <none>

From: <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:24:34 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
cc: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

>>6.7 Support plug-in and virtual machine system conventions for loading and
>>running an assistive technology. For example, the Sun Java virtual machine
>>supports loading and running of assistive technologies. (priority 1)
>
>MN:  I have half an idea what is meant by this, in terms of UAs, but would
>surely like to see this reworded prior to inclusion such that the UA portion is
more
>clear, esp. before going with P1.

OK. Is this clearer:

6.7 Support assistive technology accessibility standards defined for plug-in and
virtual machine systems used by your browser. [priority 1]

   For example, Sun defines a mechanism for loading and running and running a
assistive technology in its Java virtual machine. If the user agent supports
Java applets and provides a Java Virtual Machine to run it, the user agent
should support the proper loading and operation of a Java native assistive
technology.  This assistive technology can now be used to provide access to the
applet as defined by Sun's Java accessibility standards. It may be that
plug-ins, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, may define similar accessibility
conventions in the future.

Note: the techniques document supplies example code for loading assistive
technologies in Java.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Lead Architect, IBM Special Needs Systems
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/rich.htm

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost