Re: Raw minutes from 6 October teleconf

At 01:43 PM 10/6/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>User Agent Guidelines Teleconf
>
>   Resolved: Clarify 1.1 so that UAs don't have to support all input
>      device APIs available on an OS. If you support a type of API,
>      support the system standard API.
>
>   MN: Note that MS Platform requires support for both mouse and
>       keyboard APIs. The UAGL only requires keyboard API support.
>       Thus, in this case, the UAGL is less strict than the MS
>       platform guidelines.
>
>   RS: Perhaps a checkpoint that says to use "most common API" for
>       the system (which might be pen input, for example).
>
>   JG: Can we put this somewhere in Guideline 1?
>
>   RS: Can we include examples?

Look at the access strategies that are used by Project Archimedes: Head
Tracker plus voice.  Forcing the command input to forego pointing just
because the user doesn't use a mouse is wrong.

The point is that the UA doesn't have to support _all_ APIs defined by the
OS environment.  But for devices that the UA employs in its UI, if there is
a standard API the UA must support it.

Or show how the UI is still production-class efficient with that interface
dropped.