5 October version of User Agent Guidelines Available

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 15:46:07 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
CC: dickb@microsoft.com, howcome@opera.com
Hello,

I was wrong. I said there wouldn't be a new version
of the Guidelines before the face-to-face. But I've been
able to concentrate for two straight days on the UAGL
so I published a 5 October version of the Guidelines [1]
and Techniques [2].

The changes [3] should all be editorial. I reread the prose
of the Abstract, Introduction, and Rationales and edited it.
I only made minor changes to checkpoint wording, but
skipped most of the checkpoints altogether in this review.

I also added some scripts to do some validation of glossary
and reference entries. Here are the results:

In the Guidelines document, these are unused definitions (i.e.,
these are defined but never used in the document by linking to them):

</BLOCKQUOTE>
****** No references to definition def-Properties-and-Values.
****** No references to definition def-views.
****** No references to definition def-activate.
****** No references to definition def-insertion-point.
****** No references to definition def-property.
****** No references to definition def-element.
****** No references to definition def-current-insertion.
****** No references to definition def-event-handler.
****** No references to definition def-current-value.
****** No references to definition def-current-viewport.
****** No references to definition def-current-focus.
****** No references to definition def-user-styles.
****** No references to definition def-collated-text-transcript.
****** No references to definition def-Documents.
****** No references to definition def-attribute.
****** No references to definition def-events.
****** No references to definition def-current-selection.
****** No references to definition def-device-ind.
****** No references to definition def-view.
****** No references to definition def-text-transcript.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll add links to these definitions in the next draft.

These are unused references in the Guidelines, meaning
they appear in the References section but are never used
in either the Guidelines or Techniques:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
****** No references to [XML].
****** No references to [MATHML].
****** No references to [CCPP].
</BLOCKQUOTE>

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19991005/
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-TECHS-19991005/
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/wai-ua-wd-changes.html

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814