Proposed changes to UAGL to address conformance issues.

From: <thatch@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:39:04 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

Ian,

I had trouble with 3.2 because of the word "selected."
Having gotton over that difficulty,  I have become
comfortable with 3.2. The rewording talks about making
structure available. 3.2 talks about content. I think
3.2 is correct and the proposal a step back. I like the
examples and would like then *included* with old 3.2

From the proposal:
PROPOSAL 2) Checkpoint 3.2. The current text:

     Ensure that the user has access to the content of
     an element selected by the user.

   This checkpoint is the evolution of a requirement for access
   to individual cells, list items, etc. However, I think some
   of the intent is lost in the current wording. I propose
   the following:

     Ensure that the user has access to the document
     structure expressed by markup in an output
     device-independent manner.

       For example, ensure that the user can clearly
       understand the content of a table cell, the
       content of a list item, the content of a header,
       etc.

Jim Thatcher
IBM Special Needs Systems
www.ibm.com/sns