W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > July to September 1999

Re: HPR Evaluation

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:21:22 -0400
Message-ID: <37CE79D2.7F6D55E3@clark.net>
To: thatch@us.ibm.com
CC: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69@concentric.net>, User Agent Guidelines Emailing List <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
is not the netscape code now open source?
thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:
> 
> I think I understand your argument about the graphical view, but I don't agree
> with it.
> 
> You mentioned working out the details between IBM SNS and Netscape. That's a
> joke, We couldn't (didn't) even get the interested enough to have a look/listen
> to HPR. The HPR implementation, which uses Plugin technology, Java, Java Script,
> and DDE was done by the developer in Japan with no support or help from
> Netscape.
> 
> Jim Thatcher
> IBM Special Needs Systems
> www.ibm.com/sns
> thatch@us.ibm.com
> (512)838-0432
> 
> "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69@concentric.net> on 09/01/99 01:49:30 PM
> 
> To:   James Thatcher/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> cc:   User Agent Guidelines Emailing List <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
> Subject:  Re: HPR Evaluation
> 
> aloha, thatch!
> 
> please, don't worry about not answering my questions earlier -- i am simply
> glad that you took my note as it was intended: as a nudge, and definitely not a
> nose-tweak!
> 
> you bring up 2 interesting points: first, that -- as regards its interaction
> with HPR -- quote Netscape is closer in concept to the a protocol (HTTP) for
> HPR than it is a user interface.unquote
> 
> yet, as intriguing as that line of thought may be, i would, however, like to
> discuss the second point you raised in a bit more detail...  you noted that, in
> HPR's default configuration, synchronization with the Netscape view is set to
> OFF...  while i admit that most HPR users may never change the default setting,
> there are definitely feasible slash probable scenarios where one can envision a
> blind user changing the setting so as to work with sighted colleagues, to teach
> sighted colleagues about the web, to illustrate a point to a web or intranet
> development team, etc.
> 
> but that isn't really the gist of my concern...  what concerns me is that the
> "graphical view", which HPR is capable of importing from Netscape is available
> to the user...  therefore, it seems only logical that, since the graphical
> rendering of a document is available upon demand, the presentation of the
> graphical view should be governed by the UI-related checkpoints...
> 
> as for the issue of upon whose shoulders the responsibility for ensuring that
> the "graphical view" is compliant, i suppose that that is something that needs
> to be worked out between IBM SNS and Netscape...
> 
> thanks again for helping us work out this issue -- speaking personally, i have
> found your insights to be quite valuable in my own evaluation of the UAGL...
> 
> gregory.
> 
> At 10:33 AM 9/1/99, Jim Thatcher wrote:
> >Sorry Gregory that your questions didn't get answered. HPR cannot run without
> >Netscape and HPR cannot be adapted for IE or Opera or anything else. Yes we
> >allow users to view Netscape, but in the default configuration
> (synchronization
> >off) that would not be interesting because only the starup page would be
> there.
> >Netscape is closer in concept to the a protocol (HTTP) for HPR than it is a
> >user interface.
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------
> He that lives on Hope, dies farting
>      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
> --------------------------------------------------------
> Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
>    President, WebMaster, & Minister of Propaganda,
>         VICUG NYC <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>
> --------------------------------------------------------

-- 
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
Touching The Internet:
mailto:poehlman@clark.net
Voice: 301.949.7599
ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/poehlman
http://poehlman.clark.net
Dynamic Solutions Inc.
Best of service
for your small business
network needs!
http://www.dnsolutions.com

---sig off---
Received on Thursday, 2 September 1999 09:22:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:49:23 UTC