Re: Conformance evaluations of IBM Home Page Reader

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I wold have thought that whatever totoal solution you used was what covered
> the claim. For example "MyBrowser, and Theirbrowser, and ThisScreenReader,
> and ThatScreenReader, and TheOtherBrailleDevice, as a collection of tools"
> conform at level ....

From the 9 August draft [1]:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
  In order to conform as a graphical desktop browser,
  the user agent must satisfy all the checkpoints (for a
  chosen conformance level) that apply to graphical desktop
  browsers and do so natively.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990809/#conformance

That's the only way to conform as a desktop graphical browser
(according to the spec). The same applies to dependent UAs.

In January we considered this (refer to Option 3 of [1]):

<BLOCKQUOTE>
       b.ii) UAs must also satisfy the applicable Priority 1
             checkpoints natively or be able to demonstrate
             that, in conjunction with readily available
             products, the checkpoints are satisfied.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0017.html

The Working Group did not elect to pursue this option.