Re: Proposed deletion of checkpoint on spawning windows

Strange that we should turn up on opposite sides of the same argument, as
compared with the parse tree in HTML.

The basic requirement is that the user must be able to maintain control of
the composite process.  Process complexity in the context of an ephemeral,
narrowband display interface like audio is a serious risk factor, and
mechanisms to manage it must be included in the global principles of
operation.

For audio access, the collection of active windows must be something that
the user can recall.  In GUI mode the user only has to be able to recognize
them.  This is the difference.  It is a canard of human factors that the
GUI gives the user access to far more commands because the user doesn't
have to recall them, only recognize them.  People's recognition memory far
exceeds their recall memory.

This means that the typical process structure in a GUI session is fat and
sloppy as compared to anything that can be trusted to be usable in
audio-only mode.  Confirm and prune are necessary capabilities.

Consider simple conflicts like the screen reader synthetic voice
conflicting with audio in an 'embed' tag.  Only the user knows that the
screen reader is talking; the web browser doesn't.  Same for the SMIL
player.  The SMIL player may expose an HTML object through a web player,
but the SMIL player won't know that when that web player hits the operating
system, it meets a screen reader, and the screen reader starts talking at
the user.  The user needs the capability to retain effective control of the
process set, because in AT scenarios there will be processes going on that
the mass market products and media authors didn't anticipate or understand.
And modes of interference between cognitive processes that you and I don't
understand.

Consider the example of the auto-submit-on-enter for some forms.  This is a
sufficiently severe hazard that the user should be able to require
protection from it
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0143.html>.

Moving the user around in the interaction world is a transaction of
severity comparable to submitting a form.

Opening a new window moves where the user is in the interaction world.  It
is not enough to ensure that the user does this knowingly, it is necessary
to ensure that the user does this willingly.  Before accepting a new base
of operation in their cognitive space, the user may require a review of
what all is still there and how the new interaction locus relates to the
rest of what is there.  As I have said ad_nauseam on this thread, because
the complexity tolerance in some PWD interaction environments is lower than
the run of the mill, systematic means for user supervision of process
sprawl to manage complexity must be incorporated throughout as built-in
principles of operation.

Al