Re: Proposal to generalize checkpoint on active element rendering [Was: Proposal for link-related orientation checkpoints]

At 07:20 PM 8/8/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,
>
>The proposal below addresses link-related checkpoints
>in guideline 9 (Orientation). However, in [2], there
>are link-related checkpoints related to graphical
>rendering of link information:
>
>7.12 Provide a mechanism (e.g., through style sheets) to
>     distinguish visited links from unvisited links. [Priority 3]
>        Note. Using color as the only distinguishing
>              factor does not suffice since color may not
>              be perceivable by all users or rendered by all devices.
>
>7.13 Allow the user to specify (e.g., through style sheets) that
>     images used in links must have borders. [Priority 3]
>
>Should these checkpoints be folded into the ones proposed below,
>or do they merit a separate existence? As written, 7.12 would
>fit into the first checkpoint proposed below.

JRG: 7.12 seems to be dealing with the same issue as the new checkpoint
proposed for determining whether a link should be followed or not.  SO I
think they should be combined.

>However, 7.13 says "Use a visual highlighting mechanism to tell
>people this image is a link." Checkpoint 7.13 doesn't quite fall
>under 1.2:  "Ensure that the user can interact with all active
>elements of a document in a device-independent manner." since
>it suggests (to me) activation, not recognition of a link.
>
>I propose that we modify 7.13 and move it to guideline 6
>(user control of styles) or guideline 9 (orientation, where
>similar checkpoints reside):
>
>  Provide a mechanism for highlighting and identifying (through
>  a standard interface where available) active elements of
>  a document.

JRG: I like the change, since it is device dependent.  This could even
relate to auditory interfaces saying "link" before saying the link text.  I
think wherevere possible we should minimize the use of visual references.

>    For example, allow the user to specify that images in links
>    be rendered with borders.
>
> - Ian
>

>Ian Jacobs wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I received an action item at the 28 July teleconf [1] to propose
>> a checkpoint that would merge checkpoints 9.16, 9.17, and 9.18
>> as defined in the 16 July draft [2]. In that draft, they read:
>>
>> - Make available whether a chosen link (target) has already been visited
>> - Make available whether a chosen link (target) is local to the
>> document.
>> - Make available whether following a link will involve a fee.
>>
>> In light of decisions at the 4 August teleconf [3], I propose the
>> following
>> checkpoints:
>>
>> 1) Make available information about a link that will enable the
>>    user to decide whether to follow the link.  [Priority 3]
>>      NOTE: Useful information includes: whether the link has already
>>           been visited, whether it leads to a different document, and
>>           what is the expected natural language of the link target.
>>
>> 2) Allow the user to know whether following a link will involve a fee.
>>    [Priority 2].
>>       NOTE: This information may be provided through the standard user
>>       interface provided the interface is accessible. Thus, any prompt
>>       asking the user to confirm payment must be accessible.
>>
>> For checkpoint 2, please note that this was agreed upon at the
>> 4 August teleconference. [3].
>>
>>  - Ian
>>
>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0056.html
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990716/
>> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0078.html
>>
>> --
>> Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>> Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870
Fax: 217-333-0248