Re: Proposal for natural language checkpoint.

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:10:57 -0400
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69@concentric.net>
"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> aloha, ian!
>
> i cast an unequivocal vote of support for your proposal...  it would be of
> utmost utility for anyone using assistive technology -- not only speech-output,
> but refreshable braille and screen magnification as well...
>
> one question (with appologies to thatch) -- since the ian's proposed checkpoint
> is flagged "for assistive technologies" would hybrids such as HPR be covered by
> this checkpoint?

It is merely a question of conformance. Any piece of
software may claim conformance as an assisitive technology,
which means that it satisfies a subset of the checkpoints.

If HPR wishes to claim that type of conformance, it must satisfy
that checkpoint.

The question remains: are the two categories useful and will
it make sense for software we are familiar with to conform to
one category or the other?

This issue is on the agenda of today's teleconference.... [1]

 - Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0096.html

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814