what makes an assistive technology an assistive technology?

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:17:44 -0400
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
i'm still pondering last weeks minutes even after today's call and It
occurs to me that it is possible that hpr can be classed as an
assistive technology.  Som ats already parse html and controls to some
degree and there are some that take advantage of msaa in order to
achieve an accessible interface because of its exposition of what ats
ned.  Since it is not a browser in the sense that it does not opperate
independantly of another browser even though it only utilizes netscape
for the data stream and since it is not a plug in because it acts on
html and plug ins usually act on non html constructs, the only thing
lefft it seems to me is that it is an at.  I'll await the response
from Jim and others on this but thought I'd toss this in in the
meantime.
Thanks!
--
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s