Re: 16 July draft of UA Guidelines available

David Poehlman wrote:

> Hi Ian and all!
> I in reading through the techniques document began to become confused
> with some terms when applied to the ua development environment.  the
> terms in question are <nonvisual> and <visual>.
> My confusion stems from the fact that these two terms are not clear
> cut when referring to user agents.  perhaps graphical and non
> graphical would be better terms?

Yes, that is probably a better choice, notably since we
refer to the class of "desktop graphical browsers".

I will review the techniques based on your suggestion.

> or perhaps assistive and non
> assistive or standard would be better still?  It is quite possible for
> instance for a <nonvisual> person to use a <visual> interface provided
> the <visual> user agent exposed all of its information to assistive
> technology which the individual or user might use in order to access
> it.

I'll keep this in mind as well.

> Also, <nonvisual> has a negative connotation and is not as
> segratable as it might seem.  For instance, you might have some with a
> need for a <lowvisual> interface that enculcates the same properties
> or many of them as a "<nonvisual> interface.

I personally don't hear the negative connotation in the term
"nonvisual". Still, I agree with you that other terms are more
accurate for some of the techniques document text.

> I hope this is not too late nor considered to be a mere semantic issue
> because it is important to make meaning clear when working with
> developpers.
> If I, a <nonvisual> person who has just enough knowledge
> of what it takes to develop a browser or other ua to be dangerous, is
> confused by this, I imagine others will be as well.  I'll be happy to
> help in making this clearer in any way that I can.

Thank you David. I may call on you to review these changes
in the next draft!

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814