Conformance through communication with other software?

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:03:14 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Reference Document
   http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990709/

Hello,

In looking at the section on conformance [1] in the 9 July
draft, I see the following sentences:

> In order to conform as a desktop graphical user agent,
> the user agent must do all of the following:

>   1.Satisfy all the Priority 1 checkpoints listed
>     in this document that apply to that class of
>     user agent, and

>   2.Satisfy those checkpoints natively unless the
>     checkpoint explicitly indicates that it may be
>     satisfied through communication with other software.

We make use of point 1 by distinguishing desktop graphical
user agents from dependent user agents in some checkpoints.

However, I don't see any checkpoints where we say that
conformance is possible by communication with other software.

I propose that we discuss point 2. at the next teleconference
and consider dropping it. I suspect that it's role has
been subsumed by point 1. in practice.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990709/#conformance

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814