Re: Proposed Note for checkpoint 1.1 on device-independent input

The governing principle here is comparable to the role Text-to-Speech plays
for display.

Device independence can in principle be provided through support of a
software interface because keyboard emulation is readily available to those
who need it, interfaced to all kinds of actual devices.

This is parallel to the fact that audio-out can be supported by making
TTS-compatible text available through a software interface, because
text-to-speech is readily available.

Warning: I lack any useful knowledge of the standard interfaces that
keyboard emulators expect.

Al