W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > July to September 1999

Minutes from 7 July User Agent Guidelines Teleconference

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:39:22 -0400
Message-ID: <378390CA.35F89A72@w3.org>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Minutes 7 July UAGL Teleconference

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Scribe: Ian Jacobs

Present:

 Harvey Bingham
 Gregory Rosmaita
 Charles McCathieNevile

Regrets:

 Mark Novak
 Glen Gordon
 Jim Allan

Missing:

 Marja Koivunen
 Denis Anson
 Rich Schwerdtfeger
 Chris Weaver

Agenda [1]
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0001.html

NEXT MEETING: 14 July (Ian to CHair)
NEXT DRAFT:    9 July (Working Group).

NEW ACTION ITEMS

   Ian: Propose MAP as technique to GL WG

   Gregory: Propose a technique or checkpoint 
            to UAGL for what to do with recognized nav bars

   Ian: Add wording to checkpoint about profile
        configuration (4.1) that user be able to return
        to default profiles. And to select from among
        profiles (including the default).

   Ian: Propose to the list changes to checkpoint 1.1 in wording
        about text input through the mouse.
          a) In checkpoint itself
          b) In note after checkpoint.
   
REVIEW OF OLD ACTION ITEMS

CMN: Send request to blinux users for info about orientation. 
        Status: Done
       
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0002.html
        Action: Copy to UA GL list.

IJ: Send similar request to IG. 
        Status: Not done.

Editors: Update document based on June 30th telecon resolutions. 
        Status: Done.

IJ: Micropayments issue: 
        Status: Discussion launched with Micropayments WG.
       
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999AprJun/0258.html
        Action Jon: Take to CG and see what PF's role will be. 

SUMMARY OF RESOLUTIONS

Issue 43: Covered by existing checkpoints. No change to spec.
Issue 64: Keyboard mapping. No change to spec
Issue 67: Ok to add keyboard guideline and checkpoint proposed by Ian.
Issue 69: Instead of guideline, add checkpoint about consistency.


1. Should user agents be able recognize markup for navigation bars?
   (http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-table.html#3)

   CMN: Yes, use MAP. Designed for that purpose. 

   JG: So what should UAs do with this info? E.g., direct
       access to navigation material 
 
   CMN: prioritized approach for access to nav tools

   Gregory: I agree.

   Action Ian: Propose MAP as technique to GL
   Action Gregory: Propose a technique or checkpoint 
                   to UAGL for what to do with 
                   recognized nav bars

2. Navigation and activation of elements with ACCESSKEY attributes
defined
   (http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-table.html#43)

   CMN: My concerns: accesskeys should not change the normal user
interface -
   for example interfering with the key sequence for normal functions.
THe user
   should be able to turn them off, and re-assign them.

   IJ: We have a checkpoint now about turning off author-specified
       bindings (Priority 2). This checkpoint to appear in next draft.

   /* Charles leaves */

   Ian: ACCESSKEY is HTML-specific. Includes links and form controls.
        Is this just a way of saying navigate to active elements?
        (Refer also to checkpoints for HTML 4.0 support and
        device-independent activation of active elements.)
        Propose mentioning in techniques as a way of identifying
        (some) active elements in HTML.

   Resolved: This issue is covered by checkpoints that address
       active element activation, navigation, user control
       of bindings, and documentation.

   Note: Returning to default bindings is not covered.

   Action editor: Add wording to checkpoint about profile
                  configuration (4.1) that user be able to return
                  to default profiles. And to select from among
                  profiles (including the default).

3. Keyboard mapping among assistive technology tools (Issue #64).
   (http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-table.html#64)

   Issues: Should the guidelines include info for ATs about keyboard
          configs or is this too much implementation information?

   JG: Developers have told me that industry doesn't agree on this.

   Gregory: As an end-user, I think we should emphasize platform
          conventions for bindings. Much easier to adapt to
          ATs when standard os controls are used. If AT crashes,
          for example, you can shut things down in a standard
          manner. Few ATs tell you about standard operating
          keyboard bindings - they just tell you about their
          specific functionalities/bindings. Many users therefore
          don't know about Windows-specific bindings.

   JG: Point to platform-specific guidelines.

   Gregory mentions AT convention in Orlando. JG informs us that
   Judy is invited.

   HB: Some ATs intercept some events early. Is this a problem?

   Gregory: Two-pronged mess: straighten out what UA developers
            do, and allow os bindings to go through. 
 
   JG: "Pass-through key" can be used to deal with this.

   Resolved: No change to spec since follow os conventions
             exists as a checkpoint (and mentions keyboard
             bindings explicitly).

4. Adding guideline related to keyboard support in user agents (Issue
#67). 
   (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999AprJun/0208.html)

   New Checkpoint proposed by ian:

       Provide default keyboard configuration for frequently performed
       operations [Pri 3]

   IJ: Seems really obvious to me. 

   JG: Not obvious to most developers.

   Resolved: Keyboard Guideline ok.
             Add proposed checkpoint (see immediately above) by ian.
             In a section on testing in the techniques: 
                  test UA without a mouse.      

5. Must the user be able to do everything with the mouse that they can
with
   keyboard (Issue #68)? 
   http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-table.html#68

   CMN Yes. with the possible exception of entering text, 
       which would require an Assistive technology to enable it
       (ie for Dep.UA only)

   IJ: Question for me: If you don't allow text input through the
       mouse, do you fail checkpoint 1.1. 

   Action Ian: Propose to the list changes to 1.1 in wording.
                  a) In checkpoint itself
                  b) In note after checkpoint.

6. Proposed Guideline for software consistency (Issue #69) 
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999AprJun/0236.html

   JG: We've got a lot to do. This is a global UA issue not
       strictly related to accessibility. Impact on people with
       disabilities may be slightly greater. Keyboard consistency
       is most important piece.

   IJ: Could be a checkpoint - list important places for
       consistency.

   Resolved: Add a checkpoint to section on system conventions
             (Priority 3) and list consistency in keyboard
             defaults, user control layout, and profiles can
             be reused.

7. MK Proposal on orientation to information 
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999AprJun/0245.html 

   Skipped.

NEXT MEETING:            14 July. Ian will chair.
NEXT WORKING GROUP DRAFT: 9 July
Received on Wednesday, 7 July 1999 13:37:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:49:14 GMT