Re: Block level elements (Correction and clarification)

CORRECTION: from JRGs previous e-mail on blocks in response to CMN.  My
reference to 6.2.2 should have been a reference to 6.2.5 in 9 March 1999
Working Draft.

JRG requesinting clarification from Ian on his comment,
When you say you support CMN are you saying you want to remove 6.2.5 and
keep 6.2.3?
Are you saying that you what to write the technique for 6.2.3?
Are you just saying we need someone to write the technique for 6.2.3?

Jon

At 08:15 PM 3/11/99 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Jon Gunderson wrote:
>>
>> JRG response to CMN:
>> 6.2.3 (9 March 1999 WD) already states a feature for navigating the
>> document tree, so it is already there.
>>
>> We need 6.2.2 since many users do not know what a document tree is and it
>> provides a simple function for reading the entire content of the document.
>> While it may be considered inefficient, it is also an easy on ramp to the
>> WWW for new or less skilled users.
>>
>> No one checkpoint will solve all of a users needs.  We need both types of
>> checkpoints.
>
>I agree with Charles here: the goal is to navigate semantic
>chunks. One technique is to allow people to navigate the document
>tree. There might be others. I like Charles' idea and support
>making 6.2.3 a Technique for it.
>
> - Ian
>
>> At 03:18 PM 3/11/99 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> >I would prefer to rewrite 6.2.2, currently allow the user to view a
>> >document outline so that is allowed navigation of the semantic document
>> >tree structure - ie headers, paragraphs, lists, etc.
>> >
>> >I have assumed that this is primarily a concern for HTML and that
>> >well-written XML schemata will not have the same split between the
>> >semantic and the syntactic structures. Which could well be wrong.
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
>Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
>http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs