Re: Comments and questions on latest UA guidelines

Hello,

My comments rather far below, preceded by IJ:

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Some comment/response pairs snipped entirely. My annotations begin CMN:
>
>   >5.3.3 [Priority 1]
>   >     Allow the user to search for a link based on its attribute values.
>   >5.5.4 [Priority 1]
>   >     Allow the user to search for a form control based on its attribute
>   >values.
>   >
>   >CL: I have seen several questions about which attribute values but no
>   >answers. We are really interested in knowing which specific attribute
>   >values an end user would be interested in searching for.  Should these
>   >checkpoints really be  a priority 1?
>
> CMN: probably not. (In my opinion).
>
>   JRG:
>   Attributes for links can be considered markup used to group links like a
>   navigation bar.  The Web Content guidelines describe methods to markup
>   groups of links.
>
>   Attributes for forms include relationships between text labels and form
>   controls.  A user can search for a label and have the form control receive
>   the focus.  There are two methods:
>
>   1. Explicit Labeling:
>
>   <P><LABEL FOR=name>Name</LABEL><P>
>   <P><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=name ID=name>
>
>   The ID and the FOR attibutes provide the link between the label and the
>   control.
>
>   or
>
>   2. Implicit Labeling:
>
>   <P><LABEL FOR=name>Name<INPUT TYPE=text NAME=name ID=name></LABEL>
>
>   In this case the LABEL wraps around the control element.
>
>   In either case a person could use a search method to find name and move
>   focus to the control.

The HTML 4.0 specification says that when a label receives
focus, it passes it on to the explicitly associated control. Thus,
I don't see the need to search on attribute values of LABEL here.
I do see the need to be able to search on the content of LABEL
in this case.