Re: minor points for clarification

From: Denis Anson <danson@miseri.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 99 22:11:42 -0500
To: "Kitch Barnicle" <kitch@afb.org>, <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
>2. Section 5.2.3 [Priority 3]  When null alternative text has been defined,
>suppress the rendering of the alternative representation.
>
>I am not sure what this checkpoint means. Is rendering "null alternative
>text" different from rending nothing or would the previous checkpoint,
>5.2.2 "When no alternative text representation is available, indicate what
>type of object is present." be invoked and the object type would be rendered?

Kitch,

The way the system works when it works well is that a graphic will be
displayed as graphic.  But if it is purely decorative, it can be given an
alt="" parameter, which will suppress the [graphic] display.

This is a good approach, and the way these points should support.  If the
author has inserted a null alt text, that is a statement that this should
*not* be rendered by indicating that there is anything here, since that
information may detract from the reading of the page.

Denis