RE: PROPOSAL: Assistive Technology Checkpoints in the Guidelines

From: Charles Oppermann <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:36:51 -0800
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
<<
It may be true that MSAA provides more functionality today and possibly
in the near future. And that it is more general than providing
access to HTML or XML documents. But it is not an open standard
and as such, makes it difficult for W3C to promote.

Once again, we're not asking the W3C to promote our interface.  There is no
need to be specific about what interface should be used.

It's unfair to ask Microsoft to support MSAA on Unix, just like it would be
unfair to ask Opera or LYNX to support all of DOM - for reasons of being
lightweight, they may not want to.

There is no one solution.  The guidelines could simply state "Provide a
programmatic interface to allow browsing the document contents." as a
potential solution to some access problems.

-Chuck