Re: Request for review and comment on tables and conformance proposal

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Response in JRG:
> At 03:30 PM 1/26/99 -0500, Denis Anson wrote:
> >Some comments on the tables and conformance proposal:
> >
> >Checkpoint 6.2.7: [Priority 1]
> >Provide a means for the user to execute a script at the end of loading
> >(onload event in HTML 4.0 specification) and document changed (may not be
> >defined in current W3C standards) events.
> >
> >I would assume that the assumption, though it is not stated, is that the
> >script would be in JavaScript.  This rather begs is issue of what this
> >script is supposed to do.  Is the intent to use the script to reformat the
> >page in some way so that it is more accessible to legacy technology?
> >Probably some idea of what sort of reformatting is involved would be
> >desirable.
>
> JRG: There was discussion on this issue yesterday at the telecon.  I think
> that this checlpoint will need further revision and it may not make it in
> the final draft.  It is an attempt to use the built-in scripting
> capabilities to create user defined custom interface for people with
> disabilities or to provide compatibility with legacy technology.  There was
> concern in the call yesterday that this was maybe too specific of
> checkpoint and  reads more like a technique .  Personally I think this kind
> of feature allows the development of more grass roots solutions and allow
> current AT developers a bridge to better interfaces.  But we shall see what
> happens.

There were several points raised at the teleconference yesterday
on this topic. The most important, in my opinion, was that the proposed
checkpoint can be generalized and that users should
have final say over scripts. The guidelines already state that users
should
have the final say about styles. This would extend that control to
scripts.

The W3C CSS and FP Working Group is currently working on proposals
(called "Behaviors" and "Action Sheets") that would allow users
(and authors) to associate scripts with elements and event handlers
in a manner very similar to style sheets (using selectors, for example).

I have sent email to the Chair of that Working Group indicating
a possible dependence with WAI on this matter.

Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs