Re: Definition of mainstream browser

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:38:52 +0100
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

> Please define "mainstream" browser for me, so I can put the definition on
> the issues list.

A generic definition would be a Web UA targeted for use on a standard
desktop platform with: graphical screen, keyboard, mouse, audio (I'm
sure the PC industry has a definition of a standard desktop somewhere,
we don't need to redefine that), primarily by non disabled users.

A specific definition is: one of
  - Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Internet Explorer
  - any other that compete with these two (Opera, IBM WebExplorer, etc)

A corrolary of these definitions is that a mainstream browser, as
Chuck Opperman said on the list,"is often times forced on students and
employees." who would otherwise use more specialized user agents best
suited to their needs.