Re: UA ISSUE OF THE WEEK: Table element access

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:56:06 -0500 (EST)
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
My comments...

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Jon Gunderson wrote:

  Checkpoint 1: Allow a user using an auditory, Braille and/or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document to view the information in a single table
  cell.

CMN:: Priority 1

  Checkpoint 2: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille and/or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document commands to move the rendering focus
  between table cells.

CMN:: Priority 1

  Checkpoint 3: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille and/or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document an option to have header information
  viewed as part of the table cell rendering.

  Checkpoint 4: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille and/or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document a command to view the header information
  associated with a table cell.

CMN:: I don't see how these (3 and 4) are distinct enough to be separate
checkpoints. In 4, provide a mechanism (rather than a command). For
example, in a visual browser the mechanism is to be able to scroll along
the layout axes and determine the Headers by visual cues. Navigating cells
horizontally and vertically would help this.

  Checkpoint 5: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document a command to view the summary information
  of the current table.

CMN:: replace command with mechanism. For example, simply rendering the
contents of the summary would be satisfactory. (Not that I imagine many
browsers will take that approach)

  Checkpoint 6: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document the ability to search for text in the
  current table.

CMN:: Provide a user the ability... - not media dependent

  Checkpoint 7: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document the ability to view the nesting
  relationships of nested tables.

  Checkpoint 8: Provide a user using an auditory, Braille or visually
  enlarged rendering of a document commands to move the rendering focus
  between nested tables.

CMN:: 7 seems like an almost absolutely redundant subset of 8.

  Checkpoints 1,2,3,4 and 5 may be also good to think about in relation to
  access to frames.

I agree. But I think frames are a simpler problem for people working with
window interfaces, since they can be reproduced as if they were windows
(in theory anyway).

As a general comment, 'enlarged rendering is ill-defined. Does this mean a
font size greater than n? (where n is an arbitrary number that we pick?)

Hope you daughter is better

Charles McCathieNevile