Re: Guideline 4 - control rendering

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:59:45 -0400 (EDT)
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
cc: WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
my comments interspersed - look for CMN and IJ

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Background images: I think this not an alt content issue: it's about
                     inability to see text (for example) against a
                     certain background.

CMN I agree

IJ
  Images, video, sound: I can see wanting to turn them on/off to get
    them out of the way (reduce distraction) or speed up downloads.
    But can someone provide a good answer to how they "reduce"
    accessibility? (The guideline is about that.)

CMN people with certain cognitive disabilities have real problems with
distraction. In any case, the difference between "primary" alternative and
"secondary" alternative seems an arbitrary distinction made on the basis of
what the author thought they did best - control over rendering of
alternatives should not distinguish between them.

IJ

  How about a situation where you want to get back screen
  real estate (e.g., using screen magnifier) so you turn off images?

CMN Good point