Re: Events

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 19:24:33 -0400
To: allan_jm@tsb1.tsbvi.edu
CC: WAU-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
James Allan wrote:

> Thought I would bring these messages below to the list. I reviewed the
> guideline and don't find a place where this is directly addressed. It can
> fall into
>
> Guideline 4.2 Support input and output device-independence or
> Guideline 4.3 Support accessible keyboard input
>
> I would propose a checkpoint in 4.3 (because it mentions keyboard, but could
> also fit in 4.2)
>
> 4.x.x  Ensure keyboard access to all elements otherwise operable by a mouse
> (including pulldown)
>
> there is some overlap with the Navigation in guidelines
>
> Guideline 6.2 Provide information about document structure
> Guideline 6.3 Provide information about events
>
> my concern is that the user can navigate to an element that has an event,
> activate the event (menu pulls down) and can navigate the results of the
> event (move down the list) and activate an appropriate link or other control
> from the keyboard.

REFERENCE DOCUMENT:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-USERAGENT-19990331

I would offer that this scenario is covered by checkpoint
4.2.1 [Priority 1]:
              Ensure that all functionalities offered by
              the user agent interface are available through all
              supported input devices. These include the installation
              procedure, access to documentation,
              and software configuration.

Activating a menu (be it in the document or in the tool) I think
is part of the user interface functionality.

I think your example illustrates one particular need well and
would be useful as an example.

I therefore propose that we don't add a checkpoint but that
we add the example to the document.