Re: PROPOSAL: Expanding Checkpoint 7.2.1 into several checkpoints

Jon Gunderson wrote:

>Current checkpoint in 31 March WD
> 7.2.1 [Priority 1]
> For desktop graphical browsers. Export programmatic interfaces to ATs and
> follow operating system conventions to do so
>
> Expanded checkpoints from 7.2.1 (other checkpoints in guideline 7.2 would
> remain).
>
> Checkpoint 7.2.a [Priority 1]
> Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to content in the
> currently rendered WWW content.

Does access mean read/write?

JRG: This is a good question.   I think we want to give the opportunity to
read and write so maybe we should restate  the guideline as:

Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to read and
manipulate the content in the currently rendered HTML content (or document
tree).

Can we say "document tree" if that'swhat we mean?

JRG: Is the document tree also apart of multi-media players?
Why I said content instead of the document tree is that I want to include
in this checkpoint mult-media players and other plugins like Adobe Acobat
that may not be HTML.   Maybe we could have 2 checkpoints one for HTML
content (or W3C recommended content) which could use the term document tree
and another for proprietary content (non-W3C recommend content).  Document
Tree sounds more technical to me than just content, but as long as it is
interpreted as the same thing I guess it is alright.

> Checkpoint 7.2.b [Priority 1]
> Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to desktop user agent
> controls: including menus, toolbars and other user interface elements that
> are used to direct and control the rendering of WWW content.

What does the last clause: "that are used to direct andcontrol" mean?
JRG: It is just my attempt to be inclusive of all types of user interface
controls.  I think it would be also good to add the phrase "and indicate
status or other orientation information".

Does that imply not all menus or functionalities available through menus?

JRG: some functionalities may not be available through menus

> Checkpoint 7.2.c [Priority 1]
> Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to be informed about
> changes in the active control and element focus.

Can we say "selection" and "focus"?
JRG: Sure

> Checkpoint 7.2.d [Priority 1]
> Provide a programmatic interface for dependent user agents to simulate user
> interface and WWW content control events.
>
> Checkpoint 7.2.e [Priority 2]
> Provide a programmatic interface for dependent user agents to manipulate
> the rendering of WWW content.

This sounds too vague. We were asked to break out checkpointsin Guideline
5.1. Why not here?
JRG: This could be removed if 7.2.a is changed to include manipulation.

> Provide a programmatic interface for dependent user agents to know if a
> link (anchor) has been visited or not.

The specificity of this one strikes me when compared to the other ones. I
agree with it, but it could be part of several ofthe previous checkpoint.

JRG: This was a topic of discussion in the last telecon and some people
felt it was important.  It is not available through DOM and probablt never
will do to privacy issues.  So I included it as a low priority checkpoint.
IE already exposes this information through Active Accessibility.

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870
Fax: 217-333-0248