Re: PROPOSAL: Expanding Checkpoint 7.2.1 into several checkpoints

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Current checkpoint in 31 March WD
> 7.2.1 [Priority 1]
> For desktop graphical browsers. Export programmatic interfaces to ATs and
> follow operating system conventions to do so
>
> Expanded checkpoints from 7.2.1 (other checkpoints in guideline 7.2 would
> remain).
>
> Checkpoint 7.2.a [Priority 1]
> Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to content in the
> currently rendered WWW content.

Does access mean read/write? Can we say "document tree" if that's
what we mean?

> Checkpoint  7.2.b [Priority 1]
> Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to desktop user agent
> controls: including menus, toolbars and other user interface elements that
> are used to direct and control the rendering of WWW content.

What does the last clause: "that are used to direct and
control" mean? Does that imply not all menus or functionalities
available through menus?

> Checkpoint  7.2.c [Priority 1]
> Provide programmatic access for dependent user agents to be informed about
> changes in the active control and element focus.

Can we say "selection" and "focus"?

> Checkpoint  7.2.d [Priority 1]
> Provide a programmatic interface for dependent user agents to simulate user
> interface and WWW content control events.
>
> Checkpoint  7.2.e [Priority 2]
> Provide a programmatic interface for dependent user agents to manipulate
> the rendering of WWW content.

This sounds too vague. We were asked to break out checkpoints
in Guideline 5.1. Why not here?

> Provide a programmatic interface for dependent user agents to know if a
> link (anchor) has been visited or not.

The specificity of this one strikes me when compared to the other
ones. I agree with it, but it could be part of several of
the previous checkpoint.

Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs