Re: Issues, cont. into DOM and positioning info question

At 10:42 AM -0500 4/6/99, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>Response in JRG:
>>The object model that extends the DOM should contain UI component
>>informaiton such as keyboard bindings, etc. This would include position
>>information. I agree with CMN that position information does not belong int
>>he DOM.
>>
>JRG:  I though DOM already included some type of position information for
>dynamic positioning of elements.  Is this not a part of the porposed DOM?

hi Jon

Still reading about W3C DOM/DOM2, so.....

Position information in terms of "relationship" (e.g., sibling, parent,
etc.), yes.

Position information in terms of X Y coordinates, no.  However, having said
that, in the
DOM 2 draft 19990304, the UIEvent interface has 4 attributes, one for screenX,
one for screenY, one for clientX, and finlly one for clientY., which
according to their
definitions refer to the x/y coordinate at which the event occurred in
relative to the
origin of the screen system, and likewise in relative to the DOM's
implementation.?

Also, many of the UI events (e.g., click, mouseup, etc.) have these
attributes as context
information.

I'm guessing you are asking about what an element's position is, in a
visual format, I think that would be its screen location,  which is why I
said "no" above.

However, I believe you can figure this out from DOM2 support for
stylesheets, perhaps
someone can help here?

This is not necessarily the case for current browser implemantations of a
"DOM".

For example, in the headerlist power toy clone script I developed, after I've
found the string of text I was searching for, and verified that it is indeed a
header, I can obtain the Y postion of this string, in relationship to the
current
scrolled (or not scrolled) "dynamic" position of the page, and then adjust the
page accordingly such that if possible (if enough page still exists to
scroll it)
I can place the found header string at the top of view .

mark