Re: Please no browser assembly

From: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:36:36 -0800 (PST)
To: bryany@pathcom.com, paul.adelson@citicorp.com
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hi,
I agree with these comments.  The goal should be to make it as easy as
possible to use.  There's a video editting system called the Toaster.  It's
goal was to have the system easily used by video editors.  I think that it
sould be similar for blind people using browsers.  Some concepts I've
heard/read which bother me include:

    The user could write his/her own CSS file.

    The user just gets the right plug-in to work with the browser and the
    screen reader.

    The user could learn how to navigate the HTML tree structure.

Why should a blind user go through all these "hoops"?  I believe a good user
model is an average intelligence blind user who is not very computer
literate and is trying to work alone at 2 in the morning.  Why should
that user need to learn CSS or HTML tree structure?

Scott