RE: Techniques suggestions

From: Markku T. Hakkinen <hakkinen@dev.prodworks.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:43:07 -0500
To: "Al Gilman" <asgilman@access.digex.net>, "Masayasu Ishikawa" <mimasa@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
From the webspeak viewpoint, we will be automatically changing the
synthesizer based upon the specified language. Because there is not (yet)
one unified synthesizer set, it rests upon the self-voicing UA to know what
languages are available, and to associate the LANG codes with the locally
available synthesizers. I assume third-party assistive devices need to do
something similar if they are HTML-aware.

Because LANG is not used widely (if at all), we have a user function to
switch languages through a keyboard command.  Users of our Japanse product
have the same experience as with homepage reader (english text read using a
japanese synthesizer... obviously the synthesis rules are optimised for
japanese, with minimal rules to allow reading of non-Japanese text... the
german, french, italian and english are all less than perfect). But we do
allow the user to manually switch to any language they have installed.