navigating vs searching

From: Kitch Barnicle <kitch@afb.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 09:12:47 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

In the "navigation" sections  of the guidelines and techniques it seems as
though we primarily refer to sequential navigation. Has the concept of
direct navigation been folded into searching?  To me the notion of
searching implies an extra step. While I think providing multiple ways to
search for items on a page is important, I don't want to totally lose the
concept of directly moving to a link or active element. What do people
think? Am I missing something?

Also, I am not sure what 5.6.3 means, "Allow the user to search for a link
in the current document based on its position."  Is this guideline a
substitute for providing numbered links?

Thanks,
Kitch